A typical eye examination evaluates visual acuity (20/20), the need for glasses, and eye health. While these are important aspects of vision, these tests will not detect many other types of visual disorders that affect reading, learning, sports, concentration, and everyday life.
Up to 75% of vision problems including most eye teaming (binocular vision), focusing (accommodation), tracking (oculomotor) and visual processing problems will be missed by a basic eye exam or screening.
A vision therapy evaluation gathers vision testing data that can lead to a profile of visual skills deficits and/or diagnoses as well as visual strengths. It is a much more extensive battery of tests than a routine eye exam.
Our comprehensive evaluation includes two different appointments:
Visual Perceptual Testing (first appointment – roughly 120 mins)
- Visual perceptual skills
- Reading skill level and ability
- Visual Motor Integration
- Fine Motor skills
** We do offer “The Dyslexia Screening (TDS)” test for an additional $50.00. Please note this screening test does not diagnose Dyslexia. The TDS is a comprehensive test that looks for symptoms involving Dyslexia, Dyseidesia, Dysphonesia, and Dysphoneidesia. The test may be used for your own information or to provide the results to educators. **
Sensorimotor Examination (second appointment – roughly 30 – 45 mins)
- Visual Acuity
- Pursuits (ability to track a moving target) and Saccades (ability to switch fixation between two targets)
- Ability to converge the eyes
- Alignment of the eyes at distance and near
- Visual Field
- Refractive Condition
- Ability to converge and diverge the eyes when looking at a distance target
- Ability to converge and diverge the eyes when looking at a near target
- Magnitude of focusing ability
- Flexibility of focusing ability
- Function in near tasks with various performance lenses
- Pupillary reflexes
Once the second evaluation is complete, the doctor will sit down with the parent or guardian (if a child) to go over the findings and discuss the recommended program. You will also receive a written report containing the evaluation results within two weeks of this appointment.
Take the Vision Quiz to see if you or your child has signs of a functioning vision problem.